Thursday, February 18, 2010

Home Burial- Robert Frost

This poem is about a child dying. The child's mother and father seem to be at different stages of grieving about their son. the mother is having a hard time letting go of her son, while the father seems like he has already moved on. The wife feels like the father simply does not care and is just living like the death of his son does not matter while she is still grieving. The mother also feels like the people around her have already moved on in their minds, even before her son is laid in the grave.

I, personally, think that the grieving period should be short... I do not want people mourning two years after I am dead. But then again, it is a case-by-case situation. Last year, I had a friend who lost his brother, who was also my soccer coach. seeing as how it was his brother, he is still grieving to this day. But since it was my soccer coach, I was only sad for a couple of weeks... but the world kept turning. I just think if someone is grieving, they should have all the time in the world to be sad and finally let go, as long as they do not force it on others- that is what the wife seemed like she doing to her husband and the boy's father.

4 comments:

  1. I like how Cobb setup his post; he gives the reader a good summary of the poem along with how the characters feel in the poem. Then he goes on to tell how he feels toward the poem and uses a personal experience to make his argument even stronger. I agree with Cobb on how the grieving period should be short, but he also makes a good argument that it depends on the person. I had someone close to me die and even though I don’t grieve over her anymore I think about her all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really impressed how cobb broke this poem down. Me my self i enjoyed reading it. i felt like it was kind of sad because of the child dying. Cobb really understood this story and the poet of this story. I think cobb understood and feel into this poem with things he has encountered and compared this poem to things that has happened to him. I dont agree with the grieving part because anyone who has died that i was close to always will be remembered and will stay on my mind never forgoten in anyway. I think thats where people go wrong at when they grieve thats because they dont understand regardless you should always feel for that person that you have lost to want them to come back. but it doesnt work like that god has a special place for them and hopefully everyone else when its there time to leave this earth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too would have to agree with Cobb on his in site within the poem. He gave a good example of how he thought society should view death. In psychology we talked just today about how a family handles the stresses of a child leaving the home for college. Studies showed that a mother and father both take a step back and look at each other asking now who is she? For so long they had this tie and devoted their lives to that son or daughter. Now that he or she has left they have to rebuild that relationship in order to maintain their own marriage. Granted, their child is not diseased but they did leave.

    Cob wrote down and an explored a good idea for that I say good job. His views and outlooks on the grieving process try to make light of the situation and is a good tool for a couple experiencing such a trial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cobb has a great explanation of the poem. Just from his post you can see the sadness and sorrow Frost put into this. I like how Cobb put out a personal experience that relates so closely to this poem. It shows just how good Frost is at relating his work to something that could happen to any one of us that read it or any people that haven't. I also agree with Moss where he points out the outlooks on grieving. These are good tools for someone to use when they've lost some one close

    ReplyDelete