Thursday, March 25, 2010

the negro speaks of rivers

in this short poem Langston Hughes talks about the many rivers the character has seen and about how is soul has become deep like the rivers. from this poem it seemed to me that Langton Hughes character was talking about the history of his race since one the rivers dates back to the beginning of time and about how he has known rivers that are older than the flow of human time. from this poem i thought about how the soul can be deep like rivers an i thought that it meant that he and others has endured alot of hardship an turmoil that have made them better people much how rivers become deeper an more expansive as erosion over time deepens and widens the river bed.

3 comments:

  1. Nick has a very good opinion here. He hit on a lot of great points throughout the story. I feel the same as Nick on my of his points as well. I think that the man was simply showing the reader what he and his fellow race have gone through over the years. He uses the word soul to show the reader how strong he feels towards these images that he creates of the ancient rivers and the singing of the Mississippi. I really like how he compared the ancient rivers to the flow of human blood in human veins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This poem was extremly very good for the readers to read. I enjoyed the way the characters put the seeing of rivers that he's experienced and made them apart of his soul. I think Nick understood ths story well. I like how he hits all of his points in this poem. I really enjoyed reading ths poem it help me remember many rivers ive seen just by fkying and visiting. Those help me become on with myself. They are more relaxing thenjust being at home on the couch listening to the water sing and just laying there while the breeze of the air is hitting you aswell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To me he made the river be a history line. I think the history line in expert in a way of a river. Like the mississippi river. He said most of the first have of the Mississiippi river history in one or two words.like the slaves use to go up and down the Mississippi river. The Mississippi is one part of the black peoples foundation geting to the U.S.A.

    ReplyDelete