Thursday, March 25, 2010

Dream Boogie

I really enjoyed this short poem the Dream Boogie by Langston Hughes. This poem really made sense to me I understood the way he placed every world in this poem. Its about a person dreaming of a dance that they had in their dream. By reading this poem if it have not had the title Dream Boogie or dream deferred in a verse of this poem you would have thought it was really true. or maybe the Dream Boogie is real and this person is trying to get her dad to dream about the boogie dance. this person is probably telling there dad about this because of there experience of the boogie dance as well. This dance is probably a dance that all the people who grew up in Harlem knew this dance unless you were a blues dancer and you liked to a Harlem night club. But this poem is a classic it really explained the rhythm that people in Harlem in the 1940's and 1950's use to move to Hey, pop! Re -bop! Mop! Dream Boogie. I really think this poem will show and help the readers who doesn't understand how the people of Harlem showed how they had a good time and where true soul of the blues came from the streets and clubs of Harlem New York.

3 comments:

  1. I like the way Mr. Kendrick’s was thinking on this one. It was a little different than what I had thought but I like his opinion a lot. I think she was trying to show her dad a dance that she new. Maybe like when kid show their parents something that is pretty popular during the kids time but the parents really don’t know what it is or maybe they do the kid is just entertaining them. It’s kind of the way I try to show my parents some music that people my age listen to but they won’t budge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i find kendricks opinion kind of true about how the kid is trying to show their dad the dance and if he listens he can hear it an see it in his mind. i felt that the poem was about how like foster said that the kid was just trying to show their dad a dance that is popular within Harlem and that the dad just cant seem to get much as how older generations dont get some of our things such as music and dances etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dream boogie to me was profound and yet in a way odd in I believe in what it meant. Yes the child was happy and that is made certain and clear, but what I don't understand is why.Is it because of mere innocence? Or is it the lack of knowledge of what a dream deferred is. The short poem was interesting to read but I feel its meaning is distant to one fully grasping its interpretation.

    ReplyDelete