Thursday, January 21, 2010

Emily Dickinson "67"

About a year ago I accomplished something that set me free from any doubt on my ability on being a soldier and how far I could push myself. At the age of twenty-one I began and completed my first marathon but I did so in army fatigues and with a forty pound rucksack on my back. The grueling twenty six miles, Mountain Man March, would take from me four toenails but give me the pride of knowing I had done something that most soldiers wouldn't even dream of completing.

In the pom "67", Emily Dickinson states that "Success is counted sweetest by those who never succeed". In agreement, I support Dickinson with the hopes that everyone will take this poem in to considerateion and extract what I myself learned from it. When a veteran retires from the military, he looks back at all the great thing he has accomplished. Just as I did, you can find all of the hard work you poured into what you wanted has taken you where somewhere you never thought you could go.

As he defeated-dying-
On whose forbidden ear
The distant strains of triumph
Burst agonized and clear!

This states that those who win over and over again only know success and will feel the sting of loss more so than a man who has felt defeat more often. Humility is the key to a successful career and for one that seeks much to gain and learn. A man who can take a crushing failure often and only come back to try once more will hold victory to his own heart more so than any other.

1 comment:

  1. I really like what my 11B brother Moss has here. First, he begins with his own personal experience. This lets the reader better understand his feelings of why he feels this way towards poem "67".It also shows that he understood poem “67” so well, he can compare it to a personal experience. It let me understand the poem even better by reading the section about his Mountain Man March. I also like how he mentioned his experience in the begging then keeps relating it to the poem throughout his post. By reading Cadet Moss’s experience and seeing how he related it to the poem so well, I would definitely want to read poem “67” over again so I could get what he got out of it.

    ReplyDelete